IQOTD

"Well I gotta admit that things have really opened up for me now that my life has turned to shit."

Seymore as played by Steve Buscemi in Ghost World

I saw this film in the summer of 2001. I found the end of it depressing. Here is this truly unique character, Enid, played by Thora Birch, who ( and I hate to ruin the end of the film) leaves her world because she realizes that she simply can't fit it. Initially although she helps Seymore to get a girlfriend, and somehow manages to get into art school, suddenly all of her plans implode. Seymore is fired, her art school plan falls through, and her best friend hates her. In the end, she simply leaves town in a bus to an unknown location.

The film seems to me now prescient. Part of the reason I found the film ( I would link to the official site, but it had three THREE pop up ads and I just refuse to endorse any site with that many pop ups) depressing was I identified with Enid, and the idea that Enid could find no place in which to reside and so simply had to erase herself was depressing. But of course in light of what happened to me after this film ( the 2 year anniversary is coming up-get out the good china please) the films seems to be even more accurate. What do the people who don't fit anywhere do? What I do now? Stay in my apartment unless I'm not working? Try not to think about how other people regard us? Isn't one of the few viable solutions to vanish? Be it in the way of Emily Dickenson or J.D. Salinger or in the more permanent way of Woolf and Plath.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?