Creature Comforts
I know, I know, I owe you some Frehel goodness, but Julie has claimed that the very few recipes I post here are lovely. And so inspired by her words, I felt that any readers straggling over here from her blog should have something food-like to greet them.

I'm an insomniac from way back, so far back I can't really remember having a normal sleep pattern. Thankfully, growing up in CT, I managed to mature during the age of cable. Otherwise I would have burned through the Library of Congress....twice.

But I digress.

One of the things I liked to do when I was up late into the night while I was watching craptacular movies, because if I had paid close attention to "Girlfriend from Hell" and "Waxworks II" my brain would explode, was cook. One of the first things I learned how to make was spicy "kettle" corn. Over the years I've "refined" the recipe if you can call it that. I made the recipe again recently and, well, it's delicious, which is good because you have to eat it fast since the real butter topping will wilt the popcorn if you let it linger too long.


Spicy "Kettle" Corn

servings: 1 hungry person or two people willing to share

1 1/2 tablespoons corn oil
1/2 cup popcorn
1 clove of garlic-minced
1 teaspoon chili sauce (you can use tabasco)
2 tablespoons of salted butter
salt to taste

1 tablespoon parsley or chervil (optional)-minced

Add oil and popcorn to a large saucepan WITH A LID (otherwise the popcorn will spew all over the place). Heat oil and popcorn over medium heat. Occasionally shake the pot to prevent burning. Once the popping slows to less than once a minute, remove from heat. At the same time, melt butter with garlic and chili sauce in a small pan (or butter warmer if you have one).

Pour freshly popped popcorn into large bowl, toss with spicy butter and minced parsley/chervil if desired. If not salted to taste, add salt. Put on your favorite episode of MST3K or the new episode of Cinematic Titanic. Eat immediately while comfortably ensconced on your sofa.

If you are truly slacktacular you can use this butter to flavor microwave popcorn or store bought popcorn. Just make sure the popcorn is "natural" (without butter or flavorings). The reason I add caution is some "natural" microwave popcorn, and I mean YOU Paul Newman, is mildly flavored.

So put on one of your favorite movies and enjoy some salty goodness.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?