Anything with Steve Gutenberg is absolutely positively NOT a classic film

No, not even Cocoon.

This post follows my comment from several months ago when I questioned AMC showing "Short Circuit." Now it turns out that the Museum of Film and Television will have a "Classic Night" which will feature "an assortment of excerpts from ABC's Tuesday night line-up circa 1985 featuring classic gen X series Who's the Boss? Growing Pains, and Moonlighting"

Who's the Boss? Why not throw in Mr. Belvedere and Alf? I think better choices would include "Benson" ( arguably could be seen as the precursor to "Spin City"-certainly the clueless mayor character got its start there), "Mork and Mindy" (Robin Williams meet the American public, American public meet Robin Williams), "Greatest American Hero", "Night Court" and "Soap" (Billy Crystal as a "suicidal homosexual" who dated more chicks than most healthy heterosexuals I know put together-all two of them).

I'd go if they showed the Muppet Show. That kids are growing up without Pigs in Space, Animal Hospital and Kermit the Frog fills me with despair. The episodes starring Mark Hammil, John Cleese, Peter Cook, Joel Gray, and Roger Moore all stay in my memory. I mean, Joel Gray singing "Cabaret" to muppets. Can you beat Kirk Cameron beat that?

Personally, I'd like to see a detective shows of the 80's retrospective. I loved the old shows. I have here a list I composed during one of my monday meetings of the detective shows I'd like to see:

Remington Steele (Early Pierce Brosnan)
Simon and Simon
Riptide
Moonlighting ( I admit it, I liked the show)
Magnum P.I.

shows to leave out of the retrospective:
Matlock
Murder, She Wrote
Jake and the Fat Man
Columbo

Bad sitcoms of the 80s that shouldn't be included in ANY retrospectives:

the Tortellis (Cheers spin off)
Alf
the Charmings (probably derived from the Munsters)
Webster
My Two Dads
Full House ( Oh please, PLEASE let this one die-it's been in syndication FOREVER)
Mr. Belvedere
Easy Street ( Loni Anderson-Nooooooooo!)
E.R. ( no not the tv drama-a DIFFERENT E.R.)


Anybody remember a sitcom from the 80s starring Ted Knight I think as a grouchy old cartoonist with two daughters and the obviously gay upstairs neighbor played by Jim Jay Bullock? What the hell was that called?

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?