Let's Get Decadent!
So I had about 25 student papers to grade, not to mention all the other little paperwork details that I was about seven pounds behind on (Seriously a friend met me the other night and saw my bag and said "Wait you came back from upstate yesertday right? You've been home right? So what the hell is in there?" The souls of young children. No, no that's my other bag. You know, the red Kate Spade.) and I thought to myself "Wait I'm already sleep deprived, way behind on work, and totally slacking in preparing for the GRE/grad school prep. What better time to see a movie?"


John Landis describes Zombie Honeymoon as the" first truly romantic flesh eating corpse movie." The line "I guess us vegetarians don't make good cannibals" alone makes the film worth watching. It is a blend of traditional zombie film conventions (complete with gore-tastic zombie chow down scenes) and couple humor. The young honeymooners have a fight in the car about the groom "accidentally" eating the travel agent booking their trip to Portugal, but the scene involves some of the staid Hollywood couple fighting lines like "Oh, oh so I suppose it was really my fault then." These elements are successful, but what really makes the film work is that the characters, as they are established in the first scenes, are identifiable for film fanatics of my generation. When the couple rushes from the church and jump into the car, the radio is playing rockabilly as opposed to some more "traditional" romantic music. Although this strays from the usual idyllic manner in which honeymoons are portrayed, it reflects a more likely reality. The sound in this film is outstanding from the rockabilly song which captures the giddy rush of getting married to the stomach turning lipsmacking of the off screen corpse binging, this film really embodies how horror can fully utilize sound in manipulating the emotions of the audience. When all of these elements are combined, the film is absolutely irresistible. It will be playing at the Pioneer Cinema in NY through the 14th and all of you, well those of you who can get to it, should definately see it. I just wouldn't plan on having dinner afterwards.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?