"Eggy in the Basket"
I've been getting a lot of hits lately for people searching for "Iggy in the Basket" the breakfast featured in V for Vendetta. In turns out that I, like many others, misunderstood Stephen Frye's accent. It is really Eggy in the Basket AKA Egg in the Basket, a fairly well known dish. Interestingly the inclusion of Eggy in the Basket is one of the objections Alan Moore, the creator, had to the film. He claims that it is not a traditional English breakfast and therefore does not belong in V. First off, as someone who lived in London for two months, I can't tell you how grateful I am that I was spared the sight of a traditional English breakfast. The sight of stewed tomatoes alone would have put me off my popcorn. Secondly, Evey's reaction to the dish makes it clear that it isn't traditional. But really who cares? For all of you who want to make Eggy in the Basket-the recipe is simple:

1 egg
1 piece of bread (any type)
butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cut a whole out of the center of a piece of bread. Butter both side of the bread and add butter to a frying pan. Once hot, place the bread in the pan. Fry both sides. Crack egg in the hole. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fry one side until you can easily flip the piece of bread. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

Estimated cooking time: 3 minutes.

Comments:
As I was watching V For Vendetta tonight, I decided that what they were cooking looked good. I googled it, found this, and made me a scrumdeliumptious "eggy in the blanket". It was quite delicious...thank you for the recipe.

--SDX
 
I have been making this from the time I was six and been eating it sense I started on solid foods. We call it "cowboy toast". ( I am from montana U.S.A.)
 
Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?