A disturbing trend

I realize as an english teacher I have my own issues. Recently I have noticed my students will randomly capitalize a word in a sentence. For example, a student will submit a paper with a sentence like this, "A student currently enrolled at New York University may choose to major in business, psychology, or Acting." And no it's not just a typo because these random capitalization go on through out the paper. Nor can my students explain why they chose this or that word to be capitalized. To illustrate this trend I offer you a date.com profile text I was sent this morning:

Hi to all you wonderful ladies, I'm looking To Fine someone Like Me Who Is Honest, Caring, Romantic, Affectionate, Love To have fun, Try New Things and Has a Little Wild Side To Her, I like Quite Nights in as well as Nights on The Town Dancing Until when Ever. I like Hiking, Love The Beach, sporting and concerte events, the movies, music and more so If Your intrested In an Honest No head game Person, well you Found Him, take care and hope to hear from You!!!

maybe you don't find that one annoying or random enough-how about this one then?

HI, I'm fRench canadian living and wOrkin I like outdooRs actIvities, coOking, playing guitar,... Honest, faithFul, adventurous, bored to be single. CAn u 20be the one? who know? drop Me a line. SNee ya! P.s. I PLAY ACOUSTIC GUITAR AND USE TO WRITE MY OWN. ROMANTIC GUY AND SWEET LIKE A DOVE.

And you know that sad part? That last one lists his profession as a SCIENTIST. Well at least if there is a nuclear holocaust I'll know who to blame.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?