Oh Dad: 48 Horror Movies and Memories
And now for me to explain the concept behind blogathon theme. My father was a big fan of horror films. All of them. Good. Bad. Ugly. Low budget. Poorly acted. Ridiculously premised. He loved them all. It was perhaps one of the few things we bonded over. We would get a whole bunch of crap from the 24 hour store (cream soda, bright orange "cheese" popcorn, pretzel sticks, strawberry soda, chocolate covered donuts, gummy worms) and stay up watching some of the worst dreck ever to grace the small screen. Occassionally we would treat ourselves to actually going out, getting bucket of popcorn drenched in bright yellow food coloring (forgive me my sense of humor isn't quite a awake yet), a jacuzzi sized coke, and seeing a movie on the big screen.


During those evenings, my father espoused the theory that every film, no matter how awful, had one line that made the whole movie worth watching. I have since refined his theory. It is not always a line:it can be a scene or premise. You see it and you think "That's why I just wasted two hours of my time." For my part, I was always fascinated by the fact that at some point, no matter how egregiously stupid the plot, someone thought "Oh yeah, people are going to LOVE this." This was the beginning of the theory that would become the central philsophy of my life: every really huge mistake you will ever make will seem like a good idea at the time. And now the time has come to finally use my wasted youth in the name of a good cause.


Vanna Show Them How Its Done

The way it will work is that I will post a line or describe a scene or premise. You, my precious readers, then have 30 minutes to guess what horror film or horror film spoof I am referring to. The next post will begin with the title of the film. I may include, at that point, memories of watching the film with my father. Not all the films were released when my father was alive because I have included films that I thought he would have loved. I may also include some pieces of trivia, just as an added extra bonus and to show off.

Extra Bonus Blogathon Feature

To keep myself entertained I may also include information like what music I am listening to, how many red bulls I have consumed, and any number of completely irrelevant facts. Listen I will do whatever the hell I have to do to stay awake, and if you want to stay awake with me and see what I resort to come 4 am, well, I'll just remind you that I have a digital camera and very little modesty. If this what I am saying when it's not that late imagine how much more fun it will get when I'm sleep deprived.
Current Status Report
In my pjs drinking my morning tea about to have breakfast and a shower while I decide what I am going to kick off the 'thon with. Currently listening to the Shrek soundtrack.
Special Thanks
To fellow bloggers who have donated including: Bakerina, Blogmonkey, Spanglemonkey, Blog D'Ellison, Beastmomma, Keith, Rabbitch, and Kimberly. (As I said previously some of you gave under your real name, which I didn't recognize, so if I accidentally left you out please let me know and I shall show my link love.) Also special thanks to the lovely people at blogathon for having this event especially Sheena, who I suspect has been staying up 24 hours a day for most of this week. Also check out my neighbors in the webring Twitterpated and Hippycritism.

Hang on people, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

And now to the showers!

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?