Brief Musing in the Adjuncts "Suite"

So I'm sitting at the computer going through my bazillion emails, and I happen to look at the bookcase. The first thing that catches my eye is the copy of Whitley Strieber's Communion on the shelf next to the Elements of Style and the MLA. The "library", such as it is, is supposed to be composed of books that we would actually use to teach. Is there a course about Alien Narrative that I don't know about? And if so, can I teach it? I would require District 9, ET, and Alien plus select episodes of Star Trek (the original and Next Generation) and the X-Files.

Then I notice the MLA. They only have the 4th edition even though the MLA not only put out the 7th edition over the summer, but all the English profs were informed we were to be well versed on the new edition when we returned in the Fall. Well, I would love to be, but it would help if you had a copy here for immediate reference in case I don't want to schlep it in every day what with all my other books and papers.

But this goes to my overall wonder about what has made it onto this shelf and what hasn't. Communion is there, but the latest MLA guide isn't? I'm guessing these books were just donated by profs, which means that reference books would only be donated AFTER they were no longer of use (hence the hopelessly out of date MLA). But what does this communicate to your staff? You require knowledge of a book but don't offer even minimal support to help them achieve it?

(shakes head)

But it's too lovely a day to sit here and ponder the eclectic and unfortunate nature of the "library" so I'll head out into the sun where hopefully I will not be abducted by aliens (which make me have to revisit the whole "How relevant is Communion" issue).

Incidentally when I went to the local Barnes and Noble, THEY didn't have a copy of the latest edition although there were Chicago Style Manuals lying about.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?