"Man: I'd give my left arm for another chance.
Woman: I like that arm. How about you put it around me?"
The Divorcee starring Norma Shearer who earned an Oscar for Best Actress
Two things, people always assume I have friends. There is this thing about always being surrounded by people, but not really being of them. I always on the social periphery, in some limbo state, tolerated, but not sought out. Like my friends in the computer lab. Now part of it is, again, I'm not close to their age, although I'm much closer to their mentality than I am the other professors. Should I really be hanging out with the man hungry, socially clueless linguist? Or perhaps the manipulative and scheming business woman (the one who thinks sexiness is in the details)? Or maybe I should hang out with the 42 year old who is deliriously happy in his utterly dysfunctional relationship? (This is the same guy who asked if "it was ok" if he fantasized about me. On the first day of work, no less.) Not surprising when these are my social options at work, that I hang out with students.But that is only during the week. Same thing at ballroom studio, the teachers talk to me and they have a good time. They'll sit there and chat as long as I'm there but they never call me to come out with them. And so consequently i appear to be very popular, but can't actually find anyone to go to the movies with me.

The second thing I would like to talk about is that going home I heard these two, I'm thinking freshmen aged, kids on the bus. And they are talking away about stuff like who has a crush on who and et. cetera. It was a boy and girl sitting behind me, now the boy had a british accent (but he clearly had spent a significant period of time in nyc, as there was a hint of a new york accent on some of his words) but he was also Jewish. And I loved him for this. I've never heard anyone with a british accent talk about their Bah(bar is pronounced bah with a slightly upper class british accent) Mitzvah. But their conversation was funny enough. Here are two thirteen year old who actually use the word "blatant" in context and correctly. As in "You should know who I have a crush on since I'm blantant enough about it." It made me feel like maybe I'm not such a freak. That there are other people out there like me. But where the hell do they work and how do I find them?

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?