Inspirational Quote of the Day:
"They put one of yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue...because that's the Chicago way."
Sean Connery-The Untouchables

Ok so the utter lack of Shout Out here is depressing me (as I feared it would)-Please disregard the Buffiness of the speech, it's scary when you notice that you have been watching a show for so long that it is beginning to affect your speech. (And I would, if I had the energy to do so, like to dedicate a whole rant about the difference between AFFECT and EFFECT a subtle difference that totally escapes my students no matter what I do.) In less then two years Buffy has become one of my favorite shows.

It's strange that I would discuss this here today, but here we go. I didn't have a television for seven years. Think about that for a moment. SEVEN YEARS. Most of my students gasp when they hear that, they can not even begin to conceive of life without a tv, but I was happy without one. I didn't feel the pull to see movies and I wasted very little time. I got a huge amount of work done and did more reading than at any time of my life. And then IT happened and I had to buy I tv. I had to buy one because I couldn't read. I was that traumatized, I could not read for three months. Do you have any concept how hard it is to be an English professor when you can't read? Luckily, very few other profs in the department read and they have no excuse. But once I bought the tv I learned that I had to be very careful about the shows that I watched. Many of the shows we had watched together (he had a tv) were off limits: powerpuff girls, pokemonn (shut up!), and South Park (are you noticing a trend?). The more serious limitation was avoiding any show or movie that involved romance or marriage. Also I was unable to watch any show or movie that invovled Las Vegas (this doesn't seem like too seious a problem until a person realizes exactly how many shows and movies, especially recently, are set in Las Vegas including the new show Lucky, the original Austin Powers, the remake of Ocean's Eleven.) What I was left with was pretty much Law and Order and Law and Order: SPU. Later I would realize is that what appealed to me is not only was that there is very little romance, but the main focus of the show is justice. After such trauma the idea of justice is very attractive. Later I added Buffy. I was disturbed by the whole Anya/Xander marriage, but the rest of the show with its tormented romances worked for me. Now I have the ultimate in disturbed relationship shows Six Feet Under. (Claire has finally become me. I need to put up pictures but the character and I even look alike.) Now Buffy will be signing off ( which I think is a good thing) but I will still get to watch re-runs at 7 am. Buffy is an odd 7 am choice (FX), it being a show about creatures of the dark and all, but somehow it makes me feel better before going off to school. Fills me with the kick butt attitude. I will be sad to see Buffy go. And Six Feet Under only has three more episodes of this season (sniff) oh what will I watch and all of this premium viewing is gone. Because god knows I can't watch shiny happy tv, just doesn't work for me. And I would like to make two more requests, first that Nick have a standard showing time of Invader Zim (they keep fooling me by listing it AND NOT SHOWING IT) and for Comedy Central to push up the showing time of Duckman. I am always exhausted on Mondays because I stay up to wtach Duckman (Shame on you USA for cancelling such quality entertainment). I mean does any one actually watch Undergrads? No, so push it up ONE HALF HOUR and make one viewer happy. Join the campaign!

And please, for the love of G-d, and my sanity, please SHOUT OUT. Or I will find you, and I will kill you. And since I have the next six weeks off, I need a hobby, and HUNTING AND KILLING SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!! MWAHHHAHAAHAA! Cough hack splutter.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?