Morgue Monday

Oh yes, oh yes, would it be monday if I didn't have a meeting which made me seriously question my will to live? The meeting WOULD HAVE gone well if it wasn't for the fact that we actually got stuff done. We almost performed a scholarly heresy and LEFT EARLY no no we couldn't have that so we had to sit around and have a discussion. The first discussion was kicked off by the Mistake "Was there a real Jesus Christ?" Which immediately made me think of Will the Real Jesus Christ Please Stand up! ( There is also a play by the same name-a one act that was actually performed in my high school with our favorite math teacher, who incidentally was really cute in a kind of David Duchovny way, as the real Jesus Christ.) But she was serious, she wanted to know if there was a "historic" Jesus Christ.

Just kill me.

So basically everyone jumps onto, let me say I credit them for this, with the "Well as much as we know there is a historic Socrates. We have nothing he himself wrote nor do we have any depictions of him from the time he was alive. So believe what thou wilt" And we all are about to move on, but no, this evil new teacher, an older man I haven't mentioned before, we shall call him Prufrock, says "Well, no I have this book by this German historian that says the Jesus was a real person." So the head of the department goes "Uh, well, how does he know?" And so Prufock responds with "He did research." Research of what? Like the rest of the antiquities profs didn't do their homework and this one German guy was staying up nights? And if he came up with proof of Christ as a real person, don't you think we would all know his name? Hmmmmmmmmm? Finally Prufock says "Well, I believe that Christ was a real person" and thankfully the head of our department said, "Yes, believe all you want, but that is different from proof."

So then we move onto talking about the self segregation trend in education, with classes like "Math for Girls" in high schools and the Harvey Milk High school, which is a school geared towards gay, lesbian, and transexual high school students. The Mistake is shocked to find out, shocked, that not all gay people think they choose to be gay. I made the comment, "Well do you think you choose to be attracted to men?" And her response was, "Yes I do." To which I had to say "Well, actually you probably choose to be attracted to certain men based on a variety of different criteria that you have been taught to value. But as for being attracted to men, that's probably innate, or at least that's one argument."

Then we move onto same sex marriages. Again the Mistake pipes up with "Why do they even need marriage?" Woman, where have you been? So they can have tax breaks and health benefits and adopt children among a variety of other reasons. So I say this to her and she responds, "Well I think they should be able to have a civil ceremony, but not have a church service." And I was like "Well, churches have now, and they will always have, the right to deny couples marriage ceremonies. Certainly couples have been denied by churches because of the religious background of one of the members, because the bride was pregnant, and because the couple was not of the same race. If the country chooses to aknowledge same sex marriage, it does not mean the RC or any other religious group or sect or sub sect or cult for that matter is going to change their mind about same sex marriage."

And for sitting through this meeting, and all the meetings for this semester, we were treated to ice cream. Yes, ice cream. What am I? Five? I mean, yes I enjoyed it, but I would prefer to have shall we say proper monetary recompense for time and effort expended? Or maybe at least recompense for the videos I rented and the books I purchased to teach. Or maybe, just maybe a bonus for those of us who actually do our jobs? Or do an outstanding job? After all the time I wasted seriously debating ending my life in these useless meetings they want to bribe me with ice cream?

And it wasn't even Concession Obsession at that.


Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?