Baby It's Cold Outside: Contemplations of a Snowbound Bunni
So I was in Upstate this weekend attending Daddy Warbuck's Valentine's Day party. He demanded that not only I come, but I wear a corset. Well I hauled my ass complete with Betsey Johnson corset, silk skirt, fishnets, and a vintage maroon feather boa to Upstate New York. I can't tell you how much Amtrak loved me that day. Before you get excited I want you to remember that MY MOTHER was my date, and she was ferrying to the party several octogenarians. So there I am crammed in the middle of the backseat wearing a corset and fishnets in a car where the average age was 87. Oh and I should mention that this fabulous bash was taking place from 5-7 in the afternoon. Oh yeah people PAR-TAY.


Once I got the party, people were dressed, well, normally. And I come sweeping in with my Mae West tribute ensemble. Of course, the only thing to do in such a situation is to start drinking heavily. And since this is a Daddy Warbuck's party, this wasn't hard to do. He had two signature drinks-a striptini (vodka and pomegranite juice) and a big heart on (a cosmopolitan with some kind of twist). The Showgirl was there with her new man, and they spent most of the time holding hands on the couch. Meanwhile, the caterer, who my mother has nicknamed Kooky Mandrooky, spotted me. He fell a little in lust with me when he catered the margarita party during the Blogathon and was at least very happy to see me. He fed me raw oysters and apple fritters. The pianist also came to love me because I knew all the old standards. It's not often that a young woman asks for All of Me or can immediately identify Cry Me a River, but of course I can. He was thrilled and invited me to hear his new show Side by Side (all early Sondheim songs). I ended up sitting by him listening to In the Dark while a woman told me about living through WWII in Paris. Not exactly how I wanted to spend the evening.


Of course after the party thinned out, it was only gay men left and they all took the time to compliment my outfit. Any event that involves costuming it's pretty much a given I'm going to own it. The next day Warbucks left me a message thanking me for "turning it out" the way that I did. As if I would ever disappoint.


This weekend also cemented into place how happy I am I don't have a TV. This weekend AMC played Bloodsport with Jean Claude Van Damme and Smokey and the Bandit with Burt Reynolds. I can only hope that is a harbinger of the apocalpyse.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?