The Conspiracy of Everyday Objects

When I was in high school I found this one act play. For the most part is was non descript-two couples losing their minds, but one line in the play caught my attention. This woman is having delusions. She talks about "the conspiracy of every day objects against me." I thought it really captured the true nature of paranoia.

Gunter Grasse had a pretty good handle on it too in the Tin Drum.

"Now I know that everything watches. That nothing goes unseen. Even wallpaper has a memory that is longer than out own. It's not G-d in his heaven who sees everything, but a half filled ashtray, a wooden hanger, the stature of a woman named Niobe, are all everlasting witnesses to everyone of our acts."

Such a quotation in this day and age seems particularly accurate since we are constantly under the gaze of unseen cameras. Cameras in traffic lights and street lamps. Cameras in teddy bears ( nanny cam) and pins. The cameras of our neighbors.

On a day like today, I totally feel the truth of those lines. From your hairbrush in the morning to your own feet on the way home.

But really when you think the coffee cup is against you...you're probably right.


Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?