Please File Under: You've Got to be Fucking Kidding
I've been sitting on this one for a few days, just to make sure that my anger is justified.


The professors in the department have been doing what we call "norming" exams. The process essentially entails taking an exam, removing the name, photocopying it, passing it out, and seeing what grade everyone would give it. Interestingly although almost none of us agree on the flaws of one particularly essay, we almost always agree on the grade.


One of the less experienced teachers wanted us to "norm" comments as well as a way of seeing how we all give feedback. I wasn't for this this particular activity. The profs in this department tend to be very opinionated ( as opposed to educated) as well as defensive, and I figured this would turn into a grudge match. What I didn't count on was that I would be the only idiot to hand in an exam with comments.


So I passed out the exam and after much deliberation passed out the exam with my comments. The exam I chose was this one. The profs all laughed, and we tossed the word fallacated around for a bit. But when they started discussing my comments they all agreed I should have started my comments on the second sentence because that was a positive comment and "it's always important to start on a positive note so as not to discourage the student." So I was supposed to completely ignore the invented word IN THE FIRST LINE. Not the first sentence, the first line, and just let this student blindly go through life using a word that is quite literally laughable.


Anyone on why we mught be fucked up as a country?

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?