Welcome to Blogathon 2006:Horror Film Trivia Expo-Festorama II
Mornin' and Welcome. Before the whole wacky sleepless hijinx ensues I thought I would take a moment to explain the ideology behind my little horror trivia game, how to play, and other totally useless information to take up space in your brain that should be used for useful information instead of knowing the names of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.


The Man Behind the Dream of Blogathon

My father was a big fan of horror films. All of them. Good. Bad. Ugly. Low budget. Poorly acted. Ridiculously premised. He loved them all. It was perhaps one of the few things we bonded over. We would get a whole bunch of crap from the 24 hour store (cream soda, bright orange "cheese" popcorn, pretzel sticks, strawberry soda, chocolate covered donuts, gummy worms) and stay up watching some of the worst dreck ever to grace the small screen. Occassionally, we would treat ourselves to actually going out, getting bucket of popcorn drenched in bright yellow food coloring, a jacuzzi sized coke, and seeing a movie on the big screen.

During those evenings, my father espoused the theory that every film, no matter how awful, had one line that made the whole movie worth watching. I have since refined his theory. It is not always a line:it can be a scene or premise. You see it and you think "That's why I just wasted two hours of my time." For my part, I was always fascinated by the fact that at some point, no matter how egregiously stupid the plot, someone thought, "Oh yeah, people are going to LOVE this." This was the beginning of the theory that would become the central philsophy of my life: every really huge mistake you will ever make will seem like a good idea at the time. And now the time has come to finally use my wasted youth in the name of a good cause.

The Son of Blogathon

Sound familiar? Well, it should. I did a similar version of this game last year. So how is this year different? This year there is a prize for the winner of the trivia game. Also I've picked all different movies. Last year I tried to pick movies that my father would have loved and so there was an emphasis on older films, this year I tried to focus mainly on films that have been released during the last five years. Besides what could be more in keeping with the horror tradition than a whole bunch of sequels?


How to Play the Game
The way it will work is that I will post a line or describe a scene or premise in one or two sentences. If I feel the line is obscure, I may couple a premise or give more than one line. You can ask for hints. In addition some of the films have extra bonus questions. You, my precious readers, then have 30 minutes to guess what horror film I am referring to and write the title in the appropriate comments field. The title of the next post will be the answer to the question and the body of this post will contain a new horror film line, premise or scene. The commenter with the most correct identifications at the end of 24 hours will win a prize.


Vanna Show Them What They've Won
The winner of the Bunniblog Horror Film Trivia Expo-Festorama will win this skull potholder hand made by the Bunni while watching horror films. So it was born of creepy goodness. There is only one other in existence. Despite being utterly unique, it completely useful as it is 100% cotton and machine washable. A conversation piece as well as valuable protection against third degreee burns.
Extra Bonus Blogathon Feature
Want to know how I'm doing? Go to How's my Blogathon? a group site where myself, Bakerina, Keith, and whoever else we decide to invite can post how they are coping with sleep deprivation. I'm also maintaining another blog for the Columbia Memorial Hospital Foundation called All ABout Boys in which every 30 minutes I'll be posting a completely true story about an experience I've had with a member of the opposite sex. Trust me, it is not to be missed.
Let's Get This Party Started
I'm going to enjoy some quiet moments before the storm, finish some last minute details, and I'll see all of you back here at 0900 for the 'thon. Because I know I can go all night, but can you?

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?