Designing Cthulhu: Part of One of an Adventure in Crochet



"Whom the gods destroy, they first teach crochet" first draft of Oedipus Rex

It started with a joke to Bakerina. She was concerned if the present she was knitting would be pretty enough, and I remarked, "You know that if you made something that looked like Cthulhu had knitted it after a night of drinking tequila, he/she would love it."

And thus I decided an hour later that if I ever started selling my crochet designs that I would market them under the name Drunken Cthulhu. At the present I was working on a 100% original Bunni designed potholder. ( I can't reveal anything about it at the present, but it's almost finished and looks better than I anticipated. )

Of course, then, I realized I would have to have Cthulhu products.

I don't know why but the first thing I thought of was a Cthulhu oven mitt. I guess I thought it would be relatively easy to design, but then as I pondered I thought I could also make a Cthulhu pocketbook. ( Which I'm still going to make for the Halloween season.)

By this time, I had started sharing my plans with others, and I found out that there is a huge market for Cthulhu pocketbooks and oven mitts. Of course my friends are odd people, but still it was encouraging how excited they were at the prospect of crochet Cthulhu items.

And then yesterday, in the shower, I came up with the ultimate Cthulhu product: a bath mitt. If I could make an oven mitt, a bath mitt would be even easier because it wouldn't have to be two-ply.

OK so now I'm making a bath mitt. Unlike with a pocketbook, this eliminates a lot of questions like what kind of yarn should I use? I have to use cotton. I'm not going to take angora into the bath with me.

Of course, then I have some new design questions like what color should Cthulhu be? Sea green? Kelly green? Emerald green? I'm not sure. There is something to be said for the vibrant Emerald Green, but still I think that a soft kind of subtle sea green is something more in keeping with my idea of him.

And what about the design itself? I could make the fingers into the tentacle and the hand part into it's face with wings on the side or I could make more of a mitt with the thumb and picky sticking into the wings with the tentacles adorning the wrist. And how to make the tentacles? and eyes?

It seems the curse of the elder ones has just begun. But fear not dear friends, much like Randolph Carter in The Dream Quest for the Unknown Kadath I shall not be dissuaded.

There shall be Cthulhu bath mitts. Even if I should have to battle night-gaunts and stare down the hideous Nyarlothotep, there were will be Cthulhu bath mitts.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?