The Ethical Slut

This week's "Pucker Up" column in the Village Voice is entitled "In Defense of Sluts." I started the column with every attention of denouncing it. Particularly using the word slut, such usage would denote I would say how much the feminist movement has failed. But upon reading the article, I found her points to be well articulated and well argued. In fact if I thought, and I stress the word thought, that I could count on my students to enter into an ordered discussion of her ideas, I would. But it certainly does make me feel better about some of my choices, that SOME ONE understands that I decided to do some things because I wanted to do them and not because I am some desperate idiot with low self esteem. In fact, I think meeting people on mate.com is more degrading than a lot of my, uh, let's just unconventional relationships ( John Yule anyone?) OK I have to go and meet with a student, but there is apparently a book called the "Ethical Slut" which I think is great ( I'm hoping there is a sequel called the "Executive Slut") because christmas is righ around the corner.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?