But does it have tits? (Bill Hicks on pitching the show "Let's Hunt and Kill Billy Ray Cyrus" to executives at ABC)

Pauly D answers the question that was posed by this blog "What would your catchphrase be if you were in your own movie?" It's a great question. I think mine would be "Not much upstairs, but what a staircase." The question fits in with the writing assignment I was going to give my class "Imagine you had the power to rewrite your life. Where would you be right now? What events would you change? What would you leave the same? What long term side effects do you think these changes would have?"

I try not to think of how I would change things if given the chance. Often I think I would probably side with what has already happened, not because of that old adage "better the devil you, than the devil you don't", but because most of my decisions have had some unforeseen positive effects, and I'm not sure if I am willing to risk the ripple effect that would result from "editing" out unpleasant moments. I mean sure, I'd like to change the first kiss I ever had. (It was so awful.) And accept Josh Dandow's invitation to dinner ( I was too stupid to realize he was hitting on me). And leave Duke Nuke'em in September instead of march. But the big decisions, like going to NYU for drama, I wouldn't change, even though they didn't pan out as anticipated. Basically, if I could rewrite my life, I'm not sure how many editorial changes I would really make. I think the one thing I would change is that I would enjoy everything more, and maybe tack on a few extra cosmopolitans here and there.

The Black Saint, in those halcyon days of yore when we used to hang out, was fond of saying "I'm going to put that on my headstone." For me, that's a much easier call. What I want on my headstone is "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

What about you all? Epitaphs? Catchphrases? Movie treatments?

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?