"You look like you just got diagnosed with cancer of the puppy." Xander-Buffy the Vampire Slayer

More Musings on Buffy, the Nature of Heroism, and Anya's Death

Well now I'm pissed. yesterday I tried to do a post about Buffy and now I can't find the damn quote at WHEDONesque. Basically what it said was the Buffy is all about how being a hero is basically a choice. we all have this heroism dormant within us, but we need to make the conscious choice, the decision to pursue those impulses. What seperates heroes from the rest of the human race are not special skills or super human strength, but simply that heroes make the decision to access that part of themselves on the behalf of others, it is a conscious sacrifice without the expectation of repayment.

I have added Whedonesque to the links there on the side so that if any of you wish to join me in my Buffy worship, you can. Personally I think there is a lot to discuss about Buffy, for example one of todays reruns on FX was Pangs, an episode in which the spirit of the Shumash Indians is resurrected and attacks Buffy and the Scoobies, during her first independent Thanksgiving. What the episode really addresses is a lot of issues about the guilt of white america about exploiting and subjugating Native Americans (The tension between Willow, in the camp of the sympathizer, and Giles, in the camp of "Kill or be killed"). Spike is the representative realist who simply claims, listen this is the way dominant societies work, deal with it. But the more important part of the show is that it reveals that most of these happy white washed holidays that we have are based on violence. (Christmas was originally a pagan rite as was Easter and Valentine's Day.)

But there are times when I just want to cry to the heavens, "WHY DID THEY HAVE TO KILL ANYA?" There are friends of mine who actually maintain that Xander won't get over it. OK, Xander barely takes two seconds to look for Anya. (He didn't see her and she was lying right there RIGHT THERE!) The when informed of her death, he summons the oh so touching "That's my girl" before he launches into a joke about starbucks. Not a tear, not a touching speech, not even a moment of proper reflective silence. And now he's going to be on a whole bus of Buffy wannabes who will, I'm sure, be more than happy to soothe him in his loss of his eye and his beloved (whom he left at the altar, but continued to sleep with) in anyway possible (think of Dawn the first season). Oh yeah, he'll be over it by the time they fasten their seat belts.

The Story of My Life Essay Contest

There is an essay contest for Glamour magazine, an essay contest on the story of one's life. It's one of those things that should be easy, but isn't. So I will be using bunniblog as a testing ground for rough drafts. The deadline is July 1st, so you guys have to keep me honest and make sure I work on it. Really. I also have to finish Lysistrata. I will. I will finish Lysistrata.

The medication I'm on has sapped my will to continue writing. I was going to write deep and profound things, but no instead I sleepy.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?