Cause and Effect

Students in the lab were loudly complaining about NYU and how state schools are better or the same, and they would have had a better time if they had gone to a school where they were getting a free ride.

First, when questioned, the TWO schools they named, one of them near my home town, were not nearly as highly ranked.

I didn't point out the fallacy of the "greener grass." It always more attractive to imagine one's life is better some other way, simply because it is hard to disprove, but more than likely if this student was in a state school, they would wish he or she was at NYU.

Second when pushed on the state schools, I informed them I grew up next to a state school where half of my friends parents were faculty. The resources available here are far superior, as are the facilities available to the staff. They pointed that some state schools were good. When I pushed them on which ones, they couldn't name any with the same ranking. ( I could, but didn't do so.)

If asked if they had applied or gotten into these state schools, they didn't answer.

What it came down to is one student is unhappy with his calculus teacher.

What really got me angry is he is complaining that his teacher doesn't care etc etc. What I didn't say was "Has it occurred to you that your teacher has been standing in front of apathetic and hostile students like you all day and he has just given up trying to get in touch with you? That all he hears is students who wish they were somewhere else and so he wishes he could be home with his equations which don't complain or roll their eyes?"

Honestly, after today. I was totally willing to quit. I am beginning to think that I should. Just walk out. Because the attitude is just disgusting. You don't want to be here. Fine. Go. I'll help you transfer to the school of your choice, but don't just sit here complaining. I'll write you recommendations. You want to stay here and get help. I'll find you tutors. I'll get you links. I correct your papers.

But make a decision, and shut the hell up.

Cripes.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?