Waiting for Lefty

Well NYU's adjunct faculty is on the brink of a strike, and I have no idea what to do. On the one hand, I am not covered by the union. (Although my official NYU business cards say I am a teacher, and all I do is teach, my pay code is for a research position.) On the other hand, I feel obligated to my students. And finally, it took me a frickin' year to get this job, the academic job market is crap, and I don't really feel like getting fired for striking for a union that doesn't even represent me. On the other hand, NYU does treat adjuncts like a pile dung in the middle of the road. And if NYU treated us/them better, they wouldn't have to worry about a strike.

I mean, how much would it cost NYU to let adjunct faculty use the gym without charging us? Or allow us to audit a class without charging us for the privilege? I would happy with health insurance and gym access.

I only hope they don't hire those shiftless elves as scabs.

Comments: Post a Comment



    This page is powered by 
Blogger. Isn't yours?